Saturday, May 14, 2011

Some Small Issues with Human Anatomy - Real Life Research Paper

During the last few days, I have been researching and writing the last real life paper for my Human Anatomy and Physiology class.  The research topic is related to the reflex arc problem.  This research paper is different from my previous one.  For this research paper, I was asked to provide the explanation of the root cause of reflex failure in both lower limbs for paralysis/paresis (flaccid), absent reflex, and severe atrophy symptoms. I was also asked to describe an injury that might cause these symptoms.  I was completely wrong when I thought that these questions were simple and that I only needed two days to finish my research paper.  My professor had said, “You only need few hours to complete this real life paper because all the information is given in the Human Anatomy and Physiology text book.”  I read the chapter on   nervous systems, especially the reflex arc section, in the Human Anatomy text book many times but I could not find all the answers to the questions for my research paper. I decided to search the internet for any disease that has similar signs or symptoms. Sadly, after three days searching in the school library and on the internet, I was still unable to find any good documents that could help me to explain the root cause of reflex failure in both lower limbs. I found a few reflex disease documents on the internet however any detail of the root cause for each disease was not provided in these report documents. I believe the main purpose of these reports were to provide study cases for medical doctors.  The medical technical terms which were used in these documents were over my head. I am still a student of human anatomy, and I am struggling with all the technical terms. I am also having some issues with putting the reflex arc theory or concept to use in solving the cause for real life symptoms. My paper is due next Friday, so until that day I will continue to attempt to find an answer that can give a reasonable explanation to what causes reflexes to fail in both lower limbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment