Friday, October 8, 2010

Bruised skin

This morning, the alternator droped on top my palm while I removed it from my dad car. I realized my palm is really hurt at the beginning, then it swelled and turned dark purple or deep red. I have learned from Human anatomy and Physiology class that, bruise is caused by some form of blunt force body injury to blood vessels under the skin. When blood vessels break open, blood begins to pour into the surrounding tissue. This blood pools under the skin and initially looks dark purple or deep red. So why the pain at the injury area stop after few hours. After hours of research I understood that the pain associated with bruises is caused by the damaged nerves in the area of the bruise and the pressure of the blood as it pools. I also learned that there are three types of bruises (subcutaneous, intramuscular, and periosteal). According to What is a Bruise article on the Wise Geek website, “A subcutaneous bruise is usually the most minor, least painful, and shortest lasting. In fact some subcutaneous bruises do not hurt much at all, and people can’t remember injuring themselves. The subcutaneous bruise affects the blood vessels directly beneath the skin. It can range in color from dark purple, to brown. As the bruise fades, it becomes yellowish or light brown and ultimately disappears.” Now, I am worrying of how to heal my bruise. What should I do to heal my bruise quickly?

Source:

 http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-bruise.htm

Below are pictures of my bruise skin injury.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment